Linen Closet

DSC_0719

 

So, this little linen closet, with its little door, has opened my eyes and made me do some serious thinking about the doors in the house. It is finally finished, and in addition to our original plan, we also stripped the little access panel, the closet door and restored all the hardware. I am so so happy, but it did make it take a bit longer than I had originally hoped. I might add that I was pushing for the doors to be stripped so I do take full responsibility for the delay.

IMG_5038

IMG_5046

We took out all of the shelves (which I might add, some were made from old drawer fronts). We found that someone had inserted a styrofoam ceiling square behind the shelves so Steve had to drywall the hole, and he speckled the whole closet so we do have nice smooth walls. Steven used his router to add the molding detail to the pin rail, he also made the shelves out of cabinet grade plywood and added a nosing. He put a bead on either side of the molding. There was pin rail in the closet so we wanted to do the same. It was in bad shape so he made some that would still go with the style that was previously there. We did lay the shelves out differently. Many of the shelves weren’t very usable because they were not deep or because there was not enough room between them to really use the space effectively. We decided on three shelves. As they go up, they are a little more shallow so it makes it really say to put things on the top one.

IMG_5167

IMG_5337

We painted the closet Sherwin Williams Leisure Blue before we inserted the shelves. I was contemplating stenciling the back wall but I figured that most of it would be covered and it would clash with some of my linens and end up not working out too well. After everything was painted, the pin rail that Steven had made was installed. The shelves are removable and they fit snug on the pin-rail.

IMG_5187

While the door was out Steven used paint stripper to remove the majority of the paint, then scraped and sanded the rest. I was in shock by how well it turned out. You would never be able to tell that it was ever painted- EVER! He used stain and Tried & True Danish oil finish (http://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/danish.html)  to seal the wood. He used about 4 coats to build up the finish a bit. Its a very thin finish that is absorbed into the wood, it does look so nice and old, as I think it should.

IMG_5188

 

 

 

 

IMG_5189

 

IMG_5179

 

 

 

I am so pleased with the way the closet turned out. Clean and simple, it really is a little sanctuary for my linens.

 

IMG_5346

IMG_5331

After Steven stripped and finished the access panel, I had my heart set on doing the same to the door entering the closet. I had thought about this in the past. Its really time consuming and not knowing what was underneath, I decided to use the closet door as a test to see if we would do the same to the rest of the doors. I am happy to say that it was well worth it.

DSC_0719

6 thoughts on “Linen Closet

  1. Love the doors!! What color stain did Steve use.

    My husband and I bought a year ago a center hall that is in amazing shape. Just needs some up/undating from the 80`s. And the upstairs doors need restained. All of the varnish is crackling.

    Thank you!

    1. I have been meaning to post about refinishing the doors. Hopefully in the next week I’ll post about the process start to finish. The closet door is stained with 50/50 warm chestnut and walnut wainscot. They are oil based stains from sherwin Williams- he highly recommends them over the Minwax stains. The little access panel is a water based analine dye that Steven had made.

      Gretchen

      1. Thanks for replying!

        I’ve been wondering. What by chance you do with stripping the paint? Does yours have lead in it? I’ve been starting to strip here and there but I’m kind of worried with what to do.

        Have any tips?

        Thanks sloop much!

        1. Given that the house was built in 1929 we assume that there is lead paint under all of the latex. Stripping the doors is the only project that has involved removing existing paint. In the future I am going to research what it would cost to get the rest of the doors professionally stripped to avoid the hassle and the exposure to lead. Here is a link about lead paint removal. http://www.houselogic.com/home-advice/painting/lead-paint-removal/#.

          We use a liquid stripper and do it outside when there is nice weather. We do not sand anything until there is not more paint on any of the surfaces and use a sander that is attached to a vacuum with a HEPA filter to be safe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *